Thomas Tuchel has named his 26-man England squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, and it is nothing short of a seismic shakeup. The German head coach has left some of England's most recognisable talents at home — Cole Palmer, Phil Foden, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Harry Maguire all miss out — while handing a stunning recall to Saudi Arabia-based striker Ivan Toney. The squad announcement, made on Friday 22 May, has divided opinion across the football world, with Sky Sports' Kaveh Solhekol describing it as "probably the most shocking England squad since 1998, when Glenn Hoddle left out Paul Gascoigne."
Tuchel's Ruthless Cuts: The Big Names Left Behind
The headline omissions have dominated the conversation. Tuchel personally called around 50 players on Thursday and Friday to inform them of his decisions, and the phone calls made for uncomfortable listening. "Difficult phone calls," Tuchel admitted. "I respect all of them. As players, personalities. All of them have been in camp, have been excellent. To reduce it was difficult, sometimes painfully difficult. Even in the phone calls I felt the emotion."

Cole Palmer and Phil Foden — two of the Premier League's most scintillating talents — were perhaps the most eye-catching absentees after below-par club campaigns with Chelsea and Manchester City respectively, coupled with immense competition in the No. 10 positions. Real Madrid's Trent Alexander-Arnold was another bold omission, though perhaps more predictable given he has not won a cap since last summer. Harry Maguire, a mainstay under previous managers, took to social media to express he was "shocked and gutted" to miss out. Morgan Gibbs-White, Luke Shaw, Jarrod Bowen and Lewis Hall are among other notable absentees. Tuchel explained that the decision came down to squad balance and the spirit built during the September, October and November international camps. "We went back to the evidence we had — in September, October, November, the leadership group and the team had very few changes... that felt we had a bit of fresh air, younger players who played with excitement," he said. "For some it was a positional thing and not bringing five No. 10s and making them play out of position."
The 26-Man Squad in Full
Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), James Trafford (Manchester City)
Defenders: Reece James (Chelsea), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Jarell Quansah (Bayer Leverkusen), John Stones (Manchester City), Marc Guehi (Manchester City), Dan Burn (Newcastle United), Nico O'Reilly (Manchester City), Djed Spence (Tottenham Hotspur), Tino Livramento (Newcastle United)
Midfielders: Declan Rice (Arsenal), Elliot Anderson (Nottingham Forest), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Jordan Henderson (Brentford), Morgan Rogers (Aston Villa), Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Eberechi Eze (Arsenal)
Forwards: Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Ivan Toney (Al-Ahli), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Marcus Rashford (Barcelona), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle United), Noni Madueke (Arsenal)
Timeline: How the Squad Announcement Unfolded
The squad's unveiling was preceded by an unusual drip-feed of information. On Thursday evening, news began to break that Harry Maguire had been told he would not be included, quickly followed by the shock revelation that Ivan Toney had been recalled from the international wilderness. Sky Sports News' Rob Dorsett described it as "the leakiest World Cup squad announcement ever" as player agents and clubs began confirming selections throughout Thursday night. By the time Tuchel officially unveiled the squad on Friday morning, much of the detail was already public — but the scale of the shock had not diminished. Tuchel also confirmed that Bournemouth's Alex Scott will join the camp in Miami as an additional training player, though he has not been included in the official 26. The Arsenal quartet of Rice, Saka, Madueke and Eze will join the squad late due to their involvement in the Champions League final, meaning England will be without them for their pre-tournament friendly against New Zealand.
Analysis: What Tuchel's Choices Mean for England's Chances
Tuchel's squad raises significant tactical questions. The decision to carry seven forwards and seven midfielders at the expense of established creative talents suggests the German coach prioritises versatility and physicality over pure technical brilliance. The inclusion of Tino Livramento despite a recent thigh issue and Djed Spence despite breaking his jaw on Tuesday highlights Tuchel's willingness to gamble on fitnes. Ivan Toney's recall is the most remarkable subplot. The former Brentford striker has played just seven minutes of international football since Euro 2024 but has scored 32 goals in 32 Saudi Pro League games for Al-Ahli this season. "I love the tough decisions," Tuchel said, and he has been true to his word. Sky Sports' Kaveh Solhekol noted: "I think only Tuchel would've picked this England squad. I think he's left out some of the most talented English players." The inclusion of John Stones and Jordan Henderson — both experienced campaigners — alongside Kobbie Mainoo, Morgan Rogers and Elliot Anderson provides a blend of youth and experience, while the pace of Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka and Anthony Gordon gives England formidable options in transition.

Where Things Stand Now: England's World Cup Path
England will kick off their World Cup campaign in Group L against Croatia in Dallas on Wednesday 17 June, before facing Ghana on Tuesday 23 June and Panama on Saturday 27 June. Tuchel's side will first play a pre-tournament friendly against New Zealand, though they will be without their Arsenal contingent. The squad will assemble for a 10-day training camp before departing for the United States. Tuchel said of England's chances: "I can dream. But very quickly you go back and chop it up into steps you can influence. In March last year we said to the players 'let's try to win it'. I strongly believe if the energy and the commitment is right, this is really a brotherhood, the fans will notice and see."
What Happens Next: The Road Ahead for Tuchel's England
With the squad now confirmed, attention turns to how this bold selection will perform on the world stage. Tuchel faces the challenge of integrating late arrivals from the Champions League final while building the team spirit he has emphasised. The coming weeks will determine whether his ruthless approach was a masterstroke or a misstep. England fans can expect intense debate around the omissions to continue, but as one supporter noted on Sky Sports: "We have had years of moaning about England managers being too cautious picking the obvious players. It's a breath of fresh air to have a manager going against the grain. Shows leadership and confidence."
The Bottom Line: Key Takeaways
- Tuchel left out Palmer, Foden, Alexander-Arnold and Maguire in the most controversial England squad in decades
- Ivan Toney earned a shock recall after 32 goals in 32 games in Saudi Arabia
- Djed Spence and Tino Livramento included despite injury concerns
- England begin their World Cup campaign against Croatia in Dallas on 17 June
- Arsenal quartet to join late after Champions League final participation
- Tuchel personally called 50 players to deliver the news of their inclusion or exclusion


